Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The Mobile Office

A few things I have learned/have questions about not that my office is mobile:

1) Is there a kosher amount of time that one can use a cafe's free wifi services without making a purchase? It is sort of like using a gas station's bathroom...I always feel obligated to purchase something if I use their facilities. I inherited this from my mother. This morning I went to one cafe, spotted some computers, so found it safe to make a purchase (coffee and a muffin). I sat down, got situated, only to find that they don't have wifi. After consumption, I sauntered the streets looking for my next haunt, and went to a stand-by. But I felt obligated to purchase another coffee. So before entering I threw away my 1/4 drunk costa-rican blend. Now I've been sitting in the same cafe for a good 2 1/2 hours, and have spent a total of $10. I felt I should stay and eat lunch too.

2) Making friends - In NY, space is tight, so it is not uncommon to share a table with a stranger. However, this can sometimes be awkward, especially if this person stares at you blankly with a copy of Romeo and Juliet in their hand, and then proceed to smack their food. It's nice to have the computer screen to duck behind. However, this morning I didn't have the computer screen, and managed to make a new photographer friend.

No comments: